See the International Employee page on the Human Resource site for additional on-line resources

Human Resources

(262) 595-2204

International Student Services/Study Abroad

Elaine Isaacson Philippa
Admin Program Manager II
(262) 595-3215

Karin Basken
International Student Services Coordinator
(262) 595-2701

International students with an F-1 or J-1 visa must adhere to the rules of their visa status in order to work on campus. Contact the Office of International Student Services (ext. 2701) if you have questions about F-1 or J-1 visa statuses or their employment rules.

Note: International students holding other visas (i.e. J-2) or covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program may be eligible to work under certain conditions but must contact the Human Resources office directly to verify that they have sufficient documentation to work in the U.S.

Once an international student obtains a job offer, he or she is eligible to apply for a Social Security number. International students with a job offer should be encouraged to visit the International Student Services/Study Abroad Office or the Human Resources Office to obtain the necessary forms for this process. 

 International students should not begin working and should expect delays in their paychecks if they have not yet received a Social Security Number. 

Local Social Security Administration Offices can be found in Kenosha and Racine. 

5624 – 6th Avenue
Kenosha, WI 53140
Near the corner of 6th Ave and 56th Street 

4020 Durand Avenue (Hwy. 11)
Racine, WI 53405
Next to the O&H Bakery

International students with an F-1 or J-1 visa status are limited to working 20 hours per week during the academic school year, without exception. International students may be eligible to work more than part-time during break periods. For more information, contact Human Resources.

Form I-9: International students must come to the Human Resources office, located on the 2nd floor of Tallent Hall, to complete their Form I-9 and present original documents verifying their identify and authorization to work in the U.S.

W-4 Form: While in the Human Resources office, International students must also complete a W-4. W-4 instructions require all international students/visitors to answer "single" to marital status, "no" to the exemption question (i.e., taxes will be withheld) and select an allowance of 1 for both federal and state withholding. They must also complete the International Visitor section near the bottom of the W-4.

Direct Deposit Form: All employees are required to setup direct deposit (automatic deposit of earnings to a bank account) upon hire. Students can meet this requirements by opening an account:

  • With any local financial institution,
  • With Educator's Credit Union (conveniently located on campus), or
  • With HigherOne via their Ranger Card. Note: Please research any and all charges associated with the use of a Ranger Card HigherOne account at the link below or by contacting the Cashier's Office (Ext. 2258) or the Concierge Desk (Ext. 2307).

International student employees who are not citizens of the United States are categorized as non-resident aliens or resident aliens for tax purposes based on several factors (including the amount of time they have spent in the U.S.). 

Glacier: International student employees will receive two emails (one from ; the other from regarding Glacier (a tax compliance software) that will determine their tax treatment. International students are required to activate their Glacier account by entering their visa/immigration history, print, complete, sign, and date required forms from Glacier and mail to the University of Wisconsin Service Center address indicated on the form. Find more information regarding Glacier on the International Employee Payroll page.

Scroll to top