International employees are individuals employed by University of Wisconsin-Parkside who are not citizens of the United States.


International employees must come to Human Resources, Tallent Hall 280, to complete their I-9 verification.


If you are a International Student Hire, click here for additional information.  

W4 Form

International employees must complete all information on the W4 form for tax purposes. Please read the instructions thoroughly before completing the form, including but not limited to the following:

  • Social Security Number – required of all employees who will be paid via the Payroll system
  • Foreign Address – permanent address in country of citizenship
  • Marital Status –select either Single or Married but withhold at higher Single Rate
  • Federal/State exemption –select no
  • Federal/State allowances –select 1 for both
  • Resident Status – answer yes/no to Permanent Resident question
  • Visa Type – indicate current visa status (i.e., F-1, J-1, H-1B, Perm Resident, etc.)
  • Country of Citizenship –indicate the country in which they currently have citizenship status

To fill out your W4 form, log into your UW Portal here. You will find it under the "Payroll Information" tile. 


International employees are categorized as non-resident aliens or resident aliens for tax purposes based on several factors (including the amount of time they have spent in the U.S.).

Glacier, a tax compliance software, will determine appropriate taxation of the International employee's University of Wisconsin-Parkside earnings. All International employees receiving funds through University payroll must provide their visa/immigration history through Glacier.

Once the employee's appointment is entered into the Human Resources System (HRS) and they have a student or staff email account, emails will be sent to them from (Glacier).  The International employee must activate their Glacier account and enter their visa/immigration history.

Following their Glacier entry, they will need to mail all Glacier-generated reports and tax treaty forms, along with their immigration document photocopies to the address provided on their Glacier report.

International employees can print all forms and bring to Human Resources, Tallent Hall 280, if they would prefer Human Resources to mail the packet.


How Can I Access my Glacier Account?
Log into your Glacier account at If you do not remember your login or password, select LOGIN NOW then FORGOT LOGIN. When prompted for your email address, enter the one where this email was sent. Once in the system, you can change the email address associated with your Glacier account to a permanent address. Glacier will send login and password information from

International employees should update their Glacier record if they change their:


  • permanent address
  • immigration status
  • departure date
  • home address
  • email address
  • the number of days they leave the United States within a calendar year

If you will not be employed by, receive income from, or be enrolled at the University of Wisconsin during the remainder of the current or following calendar year, you should follow these steps:

  • Update the email and mailing addresses in your Glacier account and your permanent mailing address in My UW Portal under the Personal Information section. Contact Human Resources (262.595.2204) if you have questions about updating your mailing address in My UW Portal and to coordinate adding a personal email address in HRS.
  • Make sure the immigration information in your Glacier account reflects the status and expiration date which applied WHILE YOU WERE receiving income through UW payroll system. DO NOT include any status pertaining to U.S. presence after you left the UW.
  • Update your final U.S. DEPARTURE date to reflect when you have/will depart and remain outside the U.S. for 365 days or more.


International employees who do not have a social security number and expect to receive wages through the University of Wisconsin-Parkside payroll system should apply for a social security number in person at the Social Security Administration office (see Kenosha and Racine locations below).  The social security number is used to track earning histories of those who work in U.S.

International employees should not begin working and should anticipate delays in pay if they have not yet received a social security number.

5624 – 6th Avenue
Kenosha, WI  53140
Near the corner of 6th Avenue and 56th Street

4020 Durand Avenue (Hwy. 11)
Racine, WI  53405
Next to the O&H Bakery

International Student Employees may need a letter from the International Student Services Office signed by a Designated School Official confirming their status and eligibility to be employed in order to obtain their social security number.  Please contact International Student Services at 262.595.2701. 

All other International employees (not student employees) should contact their hiring department or Human Resources (262.595.2204) if they have questions about obtaining a social security number. 

Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens (PDF)



In addition to the Visa, individuals working on campus will need the appropriate document according to their visa status to verify work eligibility; F-1 (I-20), J-1 (DS2019), H-1B (I-797), Permanent Resident (Perm Res Card) are examples of required immigration documents for International Employees.

The payment system used for the majority of students and employees of University of Wisconsin-Parkside.

An individual who is not a U.S. citizen but is employed by the University of Wisconsin-Parkside.

A tax compliance software used by University of Wisconsin to determine an International employee's appropriate federal and state taxes on earnings from UW.

An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to request entry, departure or stay in the United States of America. The U.S. Visa, alone, does not grant work authorization.

Scroll to top