International Faculty or Academic Staff

Human Resources provides assistance to University of Wisconsin-Parkside on non-student immigration. HR acts as the liaison between the University (Provost and Deans) and all government agencies involved in immigration matters and assists both the institution and individuals in complying with immigration laws and regulations.  If you are student with questions about your J-1 or F-1 visa status, please contact International Student Services or visit their webpage. If you are a student with questions about your visa status other than J-1 or F-1, please contact us.  If you are Faculty or Academic Staff, please call, email or setup an appointment with us when you have immigration questions.

Chris Heilgeist
HR Assistant
Phone: 262.595.2220

Sheronda Glass
Associate Director Human Resources
Phone: 262.595.2230

Please call or email to schedule an appointment

Human Resources

Tallent Hall, 2 nd Floor
Kenosha, WI  53141
Phone: 262.595.2204
Fax: 262.595.2693

International Faculty and Academic Staff Responsibilities

International Faculty and Academic Staff Responsibilities

  • Complete the W-4 form (including the international information requested at the bottom)

  • Maintain your visa status and/or notify Human Resources when further action is needed

  • Complete Section 1 of Form I-9 and providing Human Resources with original supporting documents that verify your identity and authority to work in the United States

  • Maintain your foreign passport and renew when needed

  • Contact HR in advance of any travel outside the continental United States

  • Report any change in your residential address within 10 days of your entry and subsequently report any changes of addresses within 10 days to the Immigration authorities

  • Respond promptly to Human Resources when information or documentation requested
Types of Visa Statuses

Types of Visa Statuses

The most common non-immigrant statuses for non-students include:

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

  • Exchange Visitors - Short Term Scholar (J-1)

  • Non-immigration Worker (H-1B)

  • Canadian Citizen (TN)

  • Permanent Residency (Green Card)
  • Foreign National - an individual who is not a citizen of the United States of America

  • Immigration Documents - In addition to the Visa, international individuals working on campus will need the appropriate document according to their status to verify work eligibility (see examples below):

    Status Document
    F-1 I-20
    J-1 DS-2019
    H-1B I-797

  • International - an individual who is not a citizen of the United States of America

  • U.S. Visa - an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to request entry, departure or stay in the United States of America for a specified period of time. The U.S. Visa, alone, does not grant work eligibility.
Form I-9 & I-94

Form I-94

The Form I-94 is no longer offered in paper form.  If you did not print your I-94 when you arrived at air or sea ports of entry, you can print out a paper version of your arrival information at:

Form I-94 Instructions by selecting the link entitled Get I-94 Number Now.

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

International employees who do not have a social security number and expect to receive wages through the University of Wisconsin-Parkside payroll system should apply for a social security number in person at the Social Security Administration office (see Kenosha and Racine locations below). The social security number is used to track earning histories of those who work in U.S.

International employees should not begin working and should anticipate delays in pay if they have not yet received a social security number.

5624 - 6 th Avenue

Kenosha, WI 53140
Near the corner of 6 th Avenue and 56 th Street

4020 Durand Avenue (Hwy. 11)
Racine, WI 53405
Next to the O&H Bakery

International Student Employees may need a letter from the International Student Services Office signed by a Designated School Official confirming their status and eligibility to be employed in order to obtain their social security number. Please contact International Student Services at 262.595.2701.

All other International employees (not student employees) should contact their hiring department or Human Resources (262.595.2204) if they have questions about obtaining a social security number.

Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens (PDF)


Travel for International Faculty & Staff

Access the link below for up-to-date advice on traveling outside the U.S. if you are international faculty or staff. This travel information is provided by the International Faculty & Staff Services department in the Office of Human Resources at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Check Your Status (US Dept State Visa Bulletin)

Department of State Visa Bulletin

The US Department of State publishes a monthly Visa Bulletin providing dates for filing applications.  For those individuals who are waiting to apply for their Permanent Resident Card, checking this site monthly to determine if your priority date falls before or equal to the current published dates.

900 Wood Road · P.O. Box 2000 · Kenosha, WI 53141-2000 P 262-595-2345