UPS PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
UWUS HR 5
SUBJECT: Performance Management
Original Issuance Date: July 1, 2015
2) POLICY BACKGROUND:
- Communicates to employees the intent and purpose of performance evaluation.
- Informs employees of the performance standards that will be the basis for evaluating performance.
- Incorporates both a formal annual review and ongoing informal performance discussions and periodic appraisals.
- Human Resources Office maintains documentation of performance evaluation reviews.
- Human Resources Office ensures that supervisors receive orientation and training in the performance evaluation process.
Definitions Specific to this Policy:
“Performance evaluation” means a continual process of identifying, measuring and developing job related employee performance.
“Performance management” is a continual process of establishing expectations, ongoing coaching and feedback, and measuring outcomes in formal performance evaluations.
A “calendar day” excludes legal holidays in all cases4) POLICY
- Supervisors are to be formally trained to evaluate performance.
- Supervisors are to apply performance ratings in a fair and consistent manner
- Employees are evaluated on work that meets the needs of the University and is mutually agreed upon with their supervisor. Employees and Supervisors are to identify and discuss expectations to ensure clarity of goals, responsibilities, and alignment with University needs.
- The performance management process will include a review of the position description, review of annual goals and objectives, review of accomplishments and goals to be completed, and review of professional development and/or service activities.
- Supervisors are expected to give employees regular, continuous informal, and effective feedback to enhance employee success
- Performance Evaluations are to be completed annually for all University Staff and every 90 days for Probationary University Staff
- In the event an employee performance does not meet expectations, the supervisor’s explanation must be timely, clear and concise. .
- An employee may not appeal a performance evaluation but may submit a written rebuttal, which will be attached to the evaluation.
- Completed evaluations must be maintained by Human Resources Office.
- The Human Resources Office will maintain the official personnel file for each employee.
- Human Resources Office to send performance evaluation materials to supervisors on or before December 1st of each year.
- Supervisor sends completed template to employee on or before February 1st of each year.
- Employee has two weeks to review and complete self-evaluation.
- One-on-one meeting between supervisor and employee is scheduled to discuss and finalize performance evaluation with a completion date on or before March 1st of each year.
For further details, please refer to Operational Policies TC 4, Regent Pay Plan and Supplemental Pay Plan Distribution, TC 3, Compensation Structure and Tools and UPS Operational Policy HR 5.7) JOINT RESPONSIBILITY:
8) RELATED DOCUMENTS: