Apr 2, 2020
Dear Faculty and Staff:
As you may have heard by now, UW System has updated the Interim COVID-19 Leave Policy to increase the COVID-19 leave up to 272 hours (prorated by % FTE) for a period of March 17, 2020 through May 1, 2020. This policy applies to Faculty, Academic Staff, University Staff, Limited Appointees and Temporary Employees who are unable to perform their assigned duties during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reasons for use of the leave include those who are unable to perform their assigned duties due to:
- the inability to work remotely (telecommute);
- care of an immediate family member; or
- child/elder care due to school or day care closures.
This leave does not apply to those who are able to perform their assigned duties or if they are reassigned to other duties based on operational need and capacity.
Employees may use COVID-19 leave prior to using any other accrued leave. The leave will expire on May 1, 2020, and may not be rolled over. Actual use of the leave must be submitted and approved on a timesheet (including monthly employees). See the guidelines below for how to enter COVID-19 leave.
Also, sick leave as defined in UW Administrative Policy 1212, Sick Leave may be used during the COVID-19 pandemic when unable to perform assigned duties as defined by the Interim COVID-19 Leave Policy.
FMLA Expansion/Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020
UW System has implemented Interim Administrative Policy 1200-Interim 03, FMLA Expansion, which provides additional paid family and medical leave for a qualifying need related to a public health emergency. For the purposes of this policy, an employee is covered by the FMLA if the employee is unable to work (or telecommute) due to a need for leave to care for his/her son or daughter under 18 years of age if the child’s school or place of care has been closed, or the childcare provider of such son or daughter is unavailable, due to a public health emergency. Hours claimed for COVID-19 leave on or after April 1, 2020, count against the 12 weeks of leave available under this policy. The United States Department of Labor has made available a poster identifying Employee Rights for further information.
UW System President Ray Cross has indicated that employees will be granted vacation carryover flexibility due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We will communicate further details as they are available.
Thank you for all that you are doing to support the campus and each other. We recognize that this is a lot of information so feel free to reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions that you may have.
COVID-19 Leave Monthly Entry
- COVID-19 leave entries cannot be dated earlier than 3/17/2020, the effective date of the policies.
- A New Time Reporting Code (TRC) for monthly employee use only has been created.
- EMGPY – COVID Emergency Leave - Monthly
- Leave can be recorded by the employee, an administrator or via upload. Supervisors should determine which method they prefer their department(s) to utilize.
Timesheet Method (Preferred Method)
- Employees paid on a monthly basis now have a timesheet generated within the Time and Absence Module of the UW Portal. Leave will be recorded through an employee’s timesheet in the same manner as other eligible leave types used by Bi-Weekly Employees. Monthly paid employees do not need to enter their hours worked on the timesheet, only COVID-19 leave entries. This process cannot be completed using our established monthly leave reporting procedures.
- Using the timesheet reporting method the employee would enter the COVID-19 leave time into a timesheet.
- To access the monthly employee timesheet for entry Click on Launch Full App within the Time and Absence Module of the UW Portal.
Payroll Upload Method
- For supervisors planning to submit COVID leave as an uploaded, please submit requests by the 10th of each month to Human Resources to ensure timely processing to avoid unnecessary missing leave reminders.
- Upload document must include employee name, date of use (one date per line) and hours used.
- COVID-19 Leave Payroll Upload Sheet
- Bi-weekly employees should continue to utilize the reporting methods previously shared with campus.
- COVID-19 leave entries will show up in payable time as Comp Time needing approval.
- The missing leave reminders process will continue with the current timing, please submit your requests via timesheet by the normally established leave reporting deadlines or submit the Upload Document to Human Resources by the 10th of the month for departments completing the upload method.
Sheronda Glass, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
email@example.com | 262-595-2204